Sunday, May 15, 2016

Enjoy the Little Things Bookmarks

Happy Sunday!

Just realized I didn't do my usual "it's Sunday morning and I'm killing time until my people wake up" post … so I'll now do a "it's Sunday evening and I'm killing time until it's social acceptable to got to bed" post - *lol*

I got some much needed stamping time in this weekend.  I had my class Friday night and got to meet some LOVELY ladies (and the sweetest little 6 year old!) who were staying with one of my stampin' gals - they are just a few of the 88,000 Fort McMurray refugees - thank God their house is still standing but they are displace for who-knows how long.  My lovely friend, never having met them before, agreed to open her home to them.  It was an honour to give these ladies a night out for a creative escape for a few hours.  They had never stamped before … and they LOVED it!  They were truly naturals and could tell they were instantly hooked!

I spent a few hours yesterday making up the "extras" I had cut.  A rest way to spend a Saturday evening!

I didn't create anything you haven't already seen … but do have one last "old" project I wanted to share with you.  These are what I popped in my customers' bags this month ….
Aren't they pretty??  I just LOVE how they turned out!  I wanted (as usual) a quick, inexpensive little "something" to pop n the bags … 'cause (as usual) I wanted to make 25 of them.  I had the idea of a quick and easy bookmark.  Well, once I got started the EASY held but the "quick" .. well .. not so much!  They did take a while to put together … but they were so worth it!


I started with the bookmark itself.   I wanted something a little sturdier than regular card stock… and I never DID get around to buying our "heavy" card stock … so instead I grabbed the backing that comes in every pack of our beautiful designer series papers!  I cut  6" x 2" strips (using our old guillotine style paper cutter) and then used the scalloped topper punch to scallop the top :) I then cut the same size strips out of the delicious AND RETIRING Bohemian DSP.  The plan was to add some ribbon and stop there … but I couldn't do it!  I tried stamping on the DSP … but it was either lost, or too busy … so I flipped it over and stamped the back..  Bam!  Loved it!  I played around a bit.  I WANTED to use the matt (non-shiny) side as the ink would dry quickly … alas … look at the difference ..
The image on the left shows how vibrant the Blackberry Bliss ink is on the SHINY side of the DSP backing … the image on the right is when I stamped on the matt side.  No-brainer.  I HAD to use the shiny side.  The downside was it took forEVER to dry … even when I used my heat gun to speed things up!!!  A nightmare … but a labor of love.  I HAD to have the vibrant sentiment!

For the swipe I used my beloved Perpetual Calendar set (have I convinced you yet to get this set???  I used it ALL THE TIME!!!!!)
Gosh … what colour did I use for that … I THINK I went with Crushed Curry … even though the yellow in the DSP is Delightful Dijon.  I then stamped the dragonfly from Awesomely Artistic in Island Indigo

.. added splotches from Gorgeous Grunge in Blackberry Bliss …
… and then added the sentiment from Enjoy the Little Things (RETIRING IN 2 WEEKS - ONLY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!!)

I used three different ribbons for the top - the retired cotton ribbon, the retired Blackberry Bliss 1/4" ribbon and the retiring gold bakers twine.  It's hard to see in this picture but I added some our current gold twine (wrapped around the sentiment) before I taped the DSP on the back.  I finished the whole thing off with a little pop of bling from our lonnnnnnnnggggg ago retired glimmer brads (starting to use up some of the stash of embellishments I've been hoarding - make me happy to USE these little beauties!)

And BAM!  Hours later (ok - 2 days later lol) I was done!  Yes, time consuming but it was SO therapeutic making these!  I got to play with so many of my favourite toys .. and I loved them so much I even used one myself for my Disneyland book that I was reading on the plane.  It made me smile every time I opened the book :)

So that's it for tonight.  It's now 8:34 pm and time to go watch the Spring Baking Championship finale with my Little Leeshy Loo - THEN bed!

Thanks for popping in … hope you have a stampy week :)


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment