Sunday, September 11, 2016

Detailed Santa Shaker Card

Happy Sunday!

VERY late in the day for me to be posting but it's the only thing on my "to-do" list that I have the energy to actually DO!

It was a FAB weekend … but it completely whipped this gal out!

Friday.  Friday was my Open House.  Wow.  What a great night.  I think this one was my highest turnout to date!  It was soooooo great to see everyone in one room.  The only real downside to the event is that I only get to spend about 1.5 minutes talking to any one person before my "Squirrel" moments hit and I'm off in another direction, onto another conversation or task!  I know everyone understands but it reminds me of when I tried to have a conversation with small kids around … you never seem to finish that sentence!

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.  Yes, it was a SOLID 10 days of prepping samples, labelling catalogues, printing Wish Lists and so on … but so worth every single minute … and ache I felt the next day ;)

Saturday was more stamping fun as Tamye Dunbar hosted her monthly Diva Day event for her team (which I'm thrilled to be a member of!)  We stamped and had a few laughs and then I had to leave early.  The family and I had tickets to check out the all new Rogers Place Arena - what an amazing building!  By 2:00 pm my body said "ENOUGH FUN ALREADY!" and it was off home to literally put my feet up.

Today was a lovely rainy, cold day here in Edmonton - my favourite kind of Sunday!  I must say I haven't been very productive, though.  I put a few things away from Friday's chaos … did some paperwork and such … but mainly tried to recuperate.  The week ahead has 3 classes, Project Life at the senior residence, Meet the Teacher (at two different schools at the same time - not sure how I'm gunna manage THAT one!), dog grooming, doctor's appointment, vehicle maintenance and (dare I hope) a MASSAGE!  Tomorrow is my only "down day" in which to prep for my classes, start up my new fall stamping club, place the club order, prep for my Stamp-a-Stack on Sunday and attend a 60th anniversary dinner (note to self - make a card!)  Ack.  Now that I see it all in writing I want to go to bed and pull the duvet over my head until NEXT Monday!  So you see why all I can manage is blogging right now?  Feeling a *little* overwhelmed by everything else!

OK - enough whining - let's get on with actually DOING something, shall we??

Today I'm sharing a super cute shaker card I made with the new "Detailed Santa" Thinlits.  Lookie ….
Tee Hee :)  Isn't he sweet??  Now I have to admit - I almost didn't order this one.  I LIKED it … but figured it was a bit of a one-trick-pony.  I was certain I would make a shaker card out of it but figured that would be it.  I'm happy to say I made another card with it that ISN'T a shaker card so I feel completely justified in buying it :)  These are the thinlits …
 I also used the coordinating stamp set "Greetings From Santa" ...
 … and naturally I bought them as a bundle and saved 10% ...
So … for the card …
I used a standard card base of 8 1/2" x 4 1/4".
I took a piece of 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" layer and ran it throughout the Big Shot with the Detailed Santa thinlit and the little stripey thinlit.
**   For these intricate dies I HIGHLY recommend using the Precision Plate and the Big Shot Brush.  It really does make the process quicker and less frustrating!

I taped a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" piece of Bermuda Bay card stock to the card base.  I then cut a window sheet 4" x 4" and taped it to the back of the white layer that I had run through the Big Shot. 

I then used the long Foam Strips … 
… to create a closed frame around the Santa image.  You don't want to leave ANY gaps in the foam as you don't want your shaky pieces to fly out once your card is done.  For my shaky pieces I used the new Mica Flakes in gold …

 I was pretty sure the mica flakes would be static charged and, from past experience, knew they would likely stick to the window sheet.  In an attempt to avoid that I dusted the window sheet with my embossing buddy.  No good.  Still clung :(  Next time I'm going to dry dusting the flakes in a little flour to de-charge them!)  I put a small pile of mica flakes on the Bermuda Bay layer, peeled the backing off the foam strips and adhered the Santa front to the Bermuda layer.

I then tied a piece of gold natural trim around the white layer, stamped and cut out the scroll from Greetings from Santa, popped it up on dimensionals and Wa-low!  Cute, cute, cute!
Oh!  One more thing - I coloured the glasses and eyes with my Basic Black marker .. oh!  … and apparently I stamped the Naughty or Nice stamp on the Bermuda Bay piece before I did the mica flake thing … wow.  Think I should go to bed now.  Yes, it's only 7:03 pm but my brain seems to be "done"!

Pop in again soon to see the other card I made with this die … and have a stampy night!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment